Use YouTube for Content Marketing
You know how popular video is in promoting your business and you’ve wanted to include it as part of your content marketing for a long time but you haven’t done it yet. Maybe you felt it was too overwhelming or maybe you just didn’t know where to start. Then read on!
Step 1) What are my topics?
First, decide what type of videos you want to create and what purpose they will provide. Think about your target market and what they need to know.
• Setup a ’12 days of tips’
• Show ‘how to’ do something
• Explain a few reasons why they should consider a product or service like yours
• Show how to use your product or service
• Give them tips on ‘better ways to do x’
There are an infinite number of things to record a video about.
Still not sure? See what your competitors are up to or just look in your email for the FAQ’s your clients ask you. You can even ask your clients/customers/prospects what they want via your social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, email marketing).
Step 2) Setup your YouTube channel.
This step really doesn’t take long at all. (Here’s how to setup your YouTube channel.) The only snag you might run into is creating the artwork for the channel. Try using Canva (it’s f-r-e-e and they have templates already setup for you) or feel free to contact us – we can help you with that!
Step 3) Recording your videos.
Of course you can hire a professional video recording company, which is your most expensive option. It’s smart for some businesses who are using video as their main platform to promote their business – and some have done so with great success (ex: Marie Forleo). But you don’t HAVE to hire an expensive recording company to make effective videos.
All you need is:
• A smart phone that records video
• A small tripod (optional but handy)
• A YouTube app to upload your video to your You Tube channel (I also use Capture which uploads my videos quicker than the You Tube app. You can also use Capture to record your videos.)
Once you have everything in place, record your video on your phone like you would any other family video.
Then you can either: a) launch your YouTube app and upload your video or b) on some phones you can just view your video and click on an icon to upload right from there (this works on my iPhone).
I typically upload the video as ‘private’ and then log on to my YouTube channel via my computer to be sure it works and looks good. Then I add the necessary title, description, etc. and change it to ‘public’.
Step 4) Promoting your videos.
After you’ve recorded a video you’re satisfied with and uploaded it to your channel – then comes the fun part.
• Title & Description:
Be sure give your video a keyword-rich title and description. And don’t forget to include a link back to your website in the description. People may find your video before they find your website so we want to be sure to give them a way to get back to your site.
• Embed your video as a blog post – be sure to include some text in the blog post and give the blog a keyword-rich title, too.
• Promote your video on your social media channels (like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn), being sure to include a link to the video blog post or the video directly on You Tube.
• Link to your video blog or You Tube channel in your email newsletter. You can also provide a brief overview of the topics you’ve covered as you start doing more videos.
• Be sure there is a link from your website to your YouTube channel so people can go right from your site to see your videos.
Finally…post about your video and/or video channel again and again! Not everyone will see your first posts, so make a few videos and promote each of them, or set up a few reminder posts (for example: “Have you seen my new YouTube channel? Check out the first video and stay tuned for more info!”)
Who knows, you may find that you love, love, love it! And you may become the next You Tube sensation!
Happy videoing – and feel free to share yours in the comments below! We look forward to seeing them!